Wednesday, 19 February 2014

I want to be laser cut queen

I should be mounting the work I already have but I couldn't resist another laser cutting session before the hand in. Plus I'm a bit concerned I may be referred to as flamingo girl so I need to expand my Zoo! I have too many ideas I want to play with. This session proved to be very useful as not only did I cut new designs I was also given some technical tips by the wonderful laser cut technician, Adan.

 

I had a few problems with the design above. I thought this design was ready to cut from my Coral Draw design, however it turned out the lines weren't Ungrouped properly on Coral Draw so double lines appeared around my design. Worrying that I would lose out on cutting my perspex, I sent the design to print anyway. Unfortunately this meant that not only did the design take twice as long to cut, it also left burn marks along where it has been cut from going over the same area twice. I don't even think Brasso will remove this stain so I will have to cut the design again when I create finished pieces of this design to sell.  I also tried to be too ambitious with the amount of motifs I could fit on the perspex and some of the smaller designs had too much detail on them, which not makes them to delicate to use as Jewellery but also makes the designer take longer to cut.


Whilst my first design was cutting I worked on improving the design on Coral Draw. I removed all the double lines and decreased the detail of the smaller turtle motifs.  This was a dramatic improvement when it came to cutting. The design took only 18 minutes to cut on A4 perspex. From this I can now work out that I cut one of these designs in a 30 minute laser cut session, which would cost £5.  The perspex cost an average of £5. I also need to include the time spent on creating the design. Each design and piece of Jewellery is a different size, so I will have to price accordingly. My design was also very clean, not a single burn stain. These designs could be ready to sell now. I have saved this design as the master copy on Coral Draw so cutting this design again will be easy and quick.



No comments:

Post a Comment